Monday, February 18, 2013

Assignment 1: Expanded Squares (progress & completion)

             After the in-class activity, we were given our 1st individual assignment 1, we need to come up with minimum 2 expanded squares that should consists of asymmetrical and symmetrical using paper cutout technique. We are to mount our work on a minimum A3 size mounting board.


             For my symmetrical expanded square, I decide to use the buteerflies' mating dance as my theme for the cutout paterns. So I started to do some try out version of my works and exploring different placement on the paper to see which one is better (unfortunately I forgot to take photos of it because I got so caught up on doing it). I also thought that it would look nicer is the butteflies move in circular motion, however that will not quite fit to my theme as it is 'MATING' dance, so i decaide to change the position of the wings to make it looks like that they are dancing. The reason I used red color for my paper is because the mating dance is like a love thing for the bugs, so when it comes to love, it is either red or pink and i choose the former 1 because red color love give the feeling of more mature and everlasting love.





              As for my asymmetrical expanded square, I used fireworks and light ray as my design to match the chinese new year mood. For this piece of work, I used the florescent yellow green to bright out the bright effect of light. And I also decide to use 2 different sizes of square for this piece of work because this would allow the illusion of the fireworks are not released from the same place and distance. For the intersecting light rays, I cut in a way so that you can tell which light ray belong to which, and it sort of gives of an effect of blinking light in the club. And I place it at the bottom of the mounting board so that its really looks like firework rising into the air and releasing its shinny light rays into the air.



No comments:

Post a Comment