Monday, August 27, 2012

Self portrait for POD

           After the lectures, Ms.Lisa requested us to do a self portraits as an assignment using different materials and style to introduce our self to her and the class. Our self portarits must at least consist of 2 methods of art, and we are encouraged to use things that are free and also the elements of nature as the theme of our portraits. During our search for materials, most of them picked flowers and grass for materials, and I even saw some of them trying to get the goose's feather from our campus luck but to no avail.



           When I searched for my materials, I did not picked any of the flowers or grass, because during the lecture, Ms.Lisa mentioned that each designer is unique and have thier own style, I wanted to used the grass and flowers but when I saw every1 doing it I deicded to use something else. Then a sudden thirstiness come over me and the sun was shinning hot and bright, this gives me and idea to use the sand; its is part of nature's element and I didn't saw anyone using it, so i decide to give it a try by using paper cutting method and glu method fro my self portraits, however the results was not very pleasing though, because i have to get my hands dirty and the sand i collected was not what i had in mind, it has too many small rocks and when i tried to glued them they felled off.



          The sand did not have the texture i was looking for and my paper cutting skills is horrible, I wanted to try different things but it didn't went exactly as planned. It was a bit disappointing since it did not really convey my message and it wasn't able to express my style, but I can't blame the art piece though, it is the designer's fault if the art piece does not reach our expectation, but since this is my 1st try on paper cutting and using sand as my art materials I guess its normal for me to not reach the expectations since I did not practice or receive any art lessons before i coming to Foundation in design and today was the 1st art lesson we receive before POD.




         

                We were given the chance to redo another piece of our self portraits, but i decide not to do it because I want to use this art piece as a reminder for me to practice and polish my skills further in order to become a better disigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment